Sunday, August 24, 2008

Uschi Update

The path to recovery is sometimes a bit rocky! Yesterday (Saturday) Uschi seemed to be feeling better and was more active. He drank a bit and ate very small portions of wet and dry food in the morning. His digestive tract started back up (diarrhea, with a little blood, but its something!) and he appeared hungry. Last night, after munching down a small amount of Royal Canin Baby Cat food, Uschi vomited it up (~36hrs since his last vomiting). He looked like he felt bad again (scrunched up face and body) and turned down the water and food we offered.

We went into panic mode. In our minds Uschi had gone way too long without substantial meals (since early Tuesday), and we felt he needed to be able to eat regularly, or we were headed right back to the emergency Vet. So we researched possible "tempting foods for sick cats" on the Internet, and rushed out to the supermarket before it closed (apparently only an ill cat will pry us out of the house at 11:30pm on a Saturday). We tossed anything we could find in the basket, from human baby food, to canned chicken, to kitten milk substitute, to old favorite cat foods. We headed back and prepared for a long night of tempting Usch to eat something. Luckily Les had napped during the day, so we could keep an eye on him at night.

Anyone who has had a cat that won't eat, knows that sometimes the cat knows best (or at least thinks they do). Uschi wanted to sleep, and Les ended up staring at him for a few hours. When he woke up, he wanted a little water, used the litterbox (no more blood), then back to sleep. An hour later, back up and... only water.. and more sleep. Meanwhile, Tanji and Vladi were wheedling bits of the "gourmet" food. Finally at 6 a.m., Usch licked about a teaspoon of turkey baby food off of Les' finger, and after an hour of resting, was ready for more. Then it was time for small pieces of wet food, and he selected Fancy Feast soufflé, something he "grew out of" months ago. Now Uschi felt more energetic, so we had to remove all of the dry food so he wouldn't scarf it down, vomit, and start this all over again. Tanji and Vladi did not understand this move at all.

We've been feeding Uschi little bits of dry and wet food every hour or so and he has perked back up. Now we are also trying to keep him from jogging on his wheel and spending too much time playing in the kennel...

Uschi, its time to come in for a nap.


Drinking water like a good boy.
Thank goodness for the drinking fountain, it is irresistible.

Now that Uschi is feeling better again, he
apparently has to resume his Vladi grooming duties...

Lick me instead!

Good buddies taking a much-needed nap.

We're back on track, but watching Uschi like hawks.
Even if he keeps eating, tinkling, etc., we are not ruling
out another Vet trip tomorrow for more tests to be
sure he's on the road to recovery.

Previous ----- Home ----- Next

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been following Uschi's progress but hadn't gotten around to commenting yet. I wanted to leave a message saying I'm thinking of Uschi and hoping he recovers quickly - the poor thing!