Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Vole Hunter

The boys were out stalking the little remaining
tall grass from last season.

Tanj moved stealthily, until

he spotted some movements.

He sprung,

into the air,

landed and,


then dug in the grass.

When he finally came up,

he instantly turned and ran,

out into the mowed field.

Uschi and I took up pursuit.
When we finally caught him

he was "playing with" a large vole.

T knew we were coming to take his prize,

Nooooo, this is my vole.

I'll take it and run again,...

Gradually, we approached him
and leashed him up.

One last look at Tanji's vole.

We don't want the boys to kill birds and critters.
However, we have so many mice, voles, shrews,
and moles around the property, we essentially live
in a grass field, in a grass (strawbale) house, they
sometimes catch little guys before we catch them.



Previous ----- Home ----- Next


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how they can spot (and catch) the slightest of movements?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the boys' blog. I came across it a month ago right after I placed my deposit on a bengal kitten. I love all the pictures and the differences in the boy's purr-sonalities. I have gone back through all the archives and devoured what you have learned. I am thinking about a second kitten after reading your comments, but my current spoilt cat is going to have enough adjustment with one new member.
My kitten was born last week and I have 11 1/2 weeks to wait. I am so excited. I feel like I am having a baby. Getting the house "kitten proof" and setting up an outside play area. Thanks again for the pic's and info,
Pam

Tanj,Uschi&Vladi said...

They're amazing hunters, we just try to warn their prey.

************

Pam, How EXCITING!! Congratulations, and thank you so much for visiting our blog. Your comments are one of the main reasons we do the blog, besides that it is a ton of fun.

It will be a long wait, it will be worth it, I'm sure. Our wait seemed to last a long time but we needed it to get ready. We visited our boys, a 5hr drive away, three times before we were finally able to bring them home on the fourth trip (12 weeks old).

A playmate is very important, we feel. Your current family member will be great. Having a Bengal "baby" in the house will be an adjustment for all members of your home. We don't go on vacations etc. so we saved our $ and purchased the exercise wheel. The boys are on it every day. An outside safe play place will be a great addition for your Bengal. Our boys are in and out of their kennel all day, every day.

For info on the cat exercise wheels check out the page I just put up for Roger.

http://bengalized.com/catwheels/catwheels.html

Have fun!!! >;-)

Anonymous said...

Your cats are truly beautiful, and it appears they have a wonderful life as part of your family.
Aren't Bengals just the BEST ???

from five Bengals, to two...
Mr. Zenith, Emma, Dagger, Lightnin and Victoria

The Lee County Clowder said...

Oh, come on. The least you can do is let Tanj keep his prey after all the work he put into catching it. :)

Anonymous said...

How do you keep them from running away?

Tanj,Uschi&Vladi said...

The boys stay right with us. It was a gradual process, and they always wear their harnesses. Occasionally, we leash them up and they pull their leashes around, but most of the time they just stick close.